Monday, April 20, 2015

Coachella Culture

As the rep goes......Coachella is a must do at least once. A check on your bucket list. A "what to do before you have kids" item. There's where I went wrong :-) I agree it is a must do and glad I did. So much so, I may do it again.

Here's the deal: The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival takes place in Indio, California. Going
strong since 1999 this gig features mixed genres of music (which I love) including indie, rock, hip hop and EDM. Even better, it boasts inspiring art installations and sculptures amongst picturesque grounds (think breathtaking sunsets). The impressive venue hosts multiple stages and artists that continuously bring live music and experiences that will not disappoint. As if that is not enough - these 3 days of musical magic are accompanied by the opportunity to "car camp" just outside of festival grounds. YES - I said camping - so I'm a happy girl. Love me some camping as is yet when you add in friends, party favors, and an impressive music festival ..... not much more is needed. That is, outside of a good shower and strong coffee in the mornings. WHICH THERE IS!

Why is it a may versus a must? Well first off there's the financial investment.  I spent nearly $1k this year and let's be honest - there's A LOT you can do for $1k. A LOT that differs from camping, concerts and outhouses. Now of course that down plays it entirely (except for the outhouses - truly gross) yet the real deal deciding factor for me is whether or not I can embrace the majority demographic (18-25 is my guess) and more so - let loose and have fun along side?  I did pretty well this go round yet it did admittedly surprise me (along with making me feel old - which I am NOT) and took about a day to get over before settling in. Outside of that there was the head shaking factor which I believe truly came from camping exposure (you just see more) and Motherhood. Damn it. What I'm referring to is Coachella Culture: the abundant youthful drug/alcohol induced scantily clad peeps there to be super hip, make bad decisions and listen to some music they may or may not know. When not jealous of them (cause let's be honest....completely carefree times are fun!) I was just praying Cora would want to camp with her Mother her first Coachella go round :-)

This I can say.....I went with great people and we enjoyed music, moments, beer, laughs, dancing & other nonsense together in a gorgeous setting over 3 beautiful days. This truly is Coachella Culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment